I have been working for a while on a prototype sixth plate fuming box to replace one I had. This one is unusual in that the iodine and bromine containers are movable and can slide under the plate without having to move it from box to box. It is constructed of modern materials (Acrylic and Type II PVC). It also features a laser cut acrylic plate holder that is designed to mount directly onto an 8×10 view camera and be held in place with rare earth magnets. Since it is a little hard to discern how it works from the photo gallery, I have also made a short video that can be seen here. Please excuse the primitive production values. I will report in again when I have had a chance to test the box in action.
Have been working slowly on a general equipment upgrade. Today I spent about an hour creating a plate holder for my 35mm Pentax that will take the mini-plates I plan to use in getting up to speed with mercury developed daguerreotypes. This is cut from a piece of 0.02 inch polycarbonate. I made it the same width as a piece of 35mm film I had laying around and cut it to a length that made sense for the camera model. Highly engineered blue tape fastenings. Not so pretty, but does the job.
Here is my latest effort, a portrait of my wife Sarah.
This was taken with I2 fuming 23 Sec to golden yellow, 10 Sec exposure @ f1.7 EV 14.5 @ ISO 100, Becquerel development for two hours. Overall I like it, the only defect is that the highlights on the cheekbones are slightly blown.
This plate as with the two previous posts was taken on silvered glass. I will be posting an article on my methods fairly soon on CDags.org.
Here is the next installment of the images I worked on over the holiday break. Exposure continues to be a challenge. By going to the gallery you can compare this image to one I took earlier. The first image is rather badly overexposed, the second one (above) I was happy with.
Spent my time on the holiday break finishing a conversion of my equipment to take 35 mm plates. I decided that smaller is better for now – it let’s me work using much less expensive plates, and use a better lens than I have in my large format camera. I made enough keepers to justify getting a scanner which I set up tonight. Only time to scan one, but I will post more soon.