Many of us have heard in the news that the USA is in need of a major infrastructure rebuild. I decided to do my part these last two weeks and have completed two crucial upgrades to Castle Daguerre – power and a fume hood. (Well you didn’t expect me to build a bridge did you?) :) Read more »
I started to write this post with a complaint about how little free time I’ve had lately, but quickly realized that wasn’t much of an exciting lead in. Instead I am grappling with the fact that I am going to have to write more about what I don’t know about daguerreotypes than what I do know if I am going to keep this blog alive. Read more »
Creating modern daguerreotypes is often a long, slow, painstaking process – there is much to learn along the way before you ever get to make an image. The many steps and the time and expense involved can lead to a sense of discouragement at times. That is why it is great news when a fellow beginner makes a first image. My friend Jon Lewis has posted his first creation.
Jon is at early stages too (albeit clearly ahead of me). He and I have exchanged a number of emails sharing precious knowledge gleaned and friendly encouragement. Jon has also generously shared some of his supplies with me. It is good to have fellow travelers when the road is long and demanding. I congratulate Jon on this exciting milestone. His progress makes mine seem more possible.
Back to Castle Daguerre.
I am still working away on Castle Daguerre, and summer is the busiest season at my main job, so postings have been infrequent. I did send an email today to a company that makes activated carbon products Read more »